In the programme, curriculum theory meets practice: Successful participants are able to apply their theory-based knowledge in practice via an internship at Kuopio University Hospital under the supervision of medical physicists. Students willing to add a research component to their studies can complete an internship with one of the high-standard research groups of the University of Eastern Finland's Department of Applied Physics. In addition, those interested in hands-on learning are able to conduct medical-physics or technology project work on a topic of their interest. The curriculum of the medical physics programme also provides students with optional courses or study modules which can be freely included in the studies according to students´ academic interests and future career plans.
Career or after graduation opportunities
The master’s programme will equip the student with specialist skills in the field of medical physics. In addition, the course of study will provide the expertise required to pursue a specialisation as a medical physicist and can open pathways to further advanced studies and fellowship opportunities.
Upon completion of the programme, the graduate will have a career path tailored to his or her needs or interests, creating a possibility of
- Continuing advanced studies to pursue a career as a scientist
- Becoming a valuable part of industry (e.g., in health technology and engineering)
- Working in management and teaching
- Acting in science administration at national level or internationally
- Continuing in pursuit of a career as a specialised medical physicist